You will be redirected to : https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/255591-cruisair-ac-unit-problem.html in
6
seconds (cancel)

Cruisair AC unit problem - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum
Trader Rating : 0
Cruisair AC unit problem
Yesterday I noticed that the water pump for my two Cruisair ac units was pumping water which I thought was strange because I had both thermostats set to 82 degrees and the outside temperature was less than 75 degrees. Normally the pumps don't run in this scenario. Is it possible that there is a relay or switch sticking causing this. When I turned off the forward cabin ac unit the water stopped so I feel the problem might be with this unit. Any ideas?
 
Trader Rating : 0
was the ac running? if so, the pump was working properly. if not, i know that my units can be switched to have the pump stay on continuously or only on demand when the ac runs (that's how i set mine up). if you have a similar setup, maybe the unit reset to have the pump stay on. ron
 
Location: Up and Down the East Coast
Posts: 326
Trader Rating : 0
I have Cruisair as well. The temp probe is looking at the air entering the unit not outside air temp. If you have selected a desired air temp warmer then the incoming air the unit may be in heat mode with the water pump on.
 
Location: North Charleston, SC USA
Posts: 22,073
was the ac running? .........
I think the answer to that will help greatly in the diagnosis.
Some AC units have a dehmidification setting where the unit comes on and runs for a short time regardless of the thermostat setting. It's possible this is what was going on.
 
My unit is always pumping water.Is it cooling and heating properly.
 
Location: New Port Richey, Florida
Posts: 2,478
If neither of the units are "running" I'd look at the pump relay box for a stuck relay.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseM
was the ac running? if so, the pump was working properly. if not, i know that my units can be switched to have the pump stay on continuously or only on demand when the ac runs (that's how i set mine up). if you have a similar setup, maybe the unit reset to have the pump stay on. ron
This could be the problem maybe I pressed a button on the keypad that has turned the pump so it stays on all the time. Will check that out. One unit was definitely cooling when it was running but shouldn't be because the temp setting on the thermostats was considerably higher.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiphughes
This could be the problem maybe I pressed a button on the keypad that has turned the pump so it stays on all the time. Will check that out. One unit was definitely cooling when it was running but shouldn't be because the temp setting on the thermostats was considerably higher.
was the cabin temp higher than the set point? i know if it is 75 outside, chances are my cabin will be well north of that.
also refer to the "de-humid" function noted above. good luck, ron
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiphughes
Yesterday I noticed that the water pump for my two Cruisair ac units was pumping water which I thought was strange because I had both thermostats set to 82 degrees and the outside temperature was less than 75 degrees. Normally the pumps don't run in this scenario. Is it possible that there is a relay or switch sticking causing this. When I turned off the forward cabin ac unit the water stopped so I feel the problem might be with this unit. Any ideas?
Hi Skip~
I see you you got a new password on my site but didn't ask over there...
Are you having trouble signing in ?
Some good answers from others above...But as you say the unit was actually running so I have to believe it was warmer than 82 in that cabin.
If you have the Cruisair controls...You would know if it was in the dehumidify mode...The control flashes HU continuously...To start the humidity cycle you must press Cool Heat & Fan all at the same time...The control will then start flashing HU.
To know what the control is seeing for cabin temp...Just press the temp button...If that control sees the temp more than 1.5 degrees above set point...It will bring on the compressor and thus the pump (they are on the same wiring circuit) You can also see a continuous update of cabin temp vs setpoint by pressing the temp button twice...
For auto changeover from cool to heat you must press Both Cool & Heat buttons...So I don't think it was heating (unless someone pressed the heat button)
From what you have described so far...It does not seem you have a problem...But the easiest test for your pump & relay is to turn off both systems with the off button on each....If the pump is off then it's all good so far...Then start each system by itself (cool or heat does not matter) if the pump then starts...good...shut that one off & test the next...Pump runs & shuts off when you turn it (the system/s) on & off you are all set....
The thermostat had to be calling for a compressor for some reason...The simplest reason is the cabin temp was more than 1.5 degress above setpoint & the system was in the cooling mode (cool button pressed)
If you don't want the pump or system/s to come on...Then press the Off button on all controls....
Steve~
Originally Posted by skiphughes
Steve,
Yes I could not get logged in. For some reason I have had problems on your site. Thats where I went first for the info. After receiving the password do I need to wait a few hours. I haven't tried logging in today.
When I got to the boat the other day the ac pump was running which I thought odd since it was cool outside. Opened the eng room and neither ac compressor was running (I could be wrong on this but I didn't hear either). Went inside and the front cabin was very cold which I didn't understand because the thermostat was set at 81 degrees.
Tried logging on again with no success.
Hey Skip....I guess you are not the first that has trouble with my site...
I see people all the time getting new passwords or re setting them...
Please....If you can tell me what it is about it that is not right and I will try to get my web guy to fix it....I think it's why I don't get much response....
As far as 81 degrees is...I need to know what the temp in the cabin was...
Steve~
Originally Posted by skiphughes
Steve,
Yes I could not get logged in. For some reason I have had problems on your site. Thats where I went first for the info. After receiving the password do I need to wait a few hours. I haven't tried logging in today.
When I got to the boat the other day the ac pump was running which I thought odd since it was cool outside. Opened the eng room and neither ac compressor was running (I could be wrong on this but I didn't hear either). Went inside and the front cabin was very cold which I didn't understand because the thermostat was set at 81 degrees.
Tried logging on again with no success.
Ok...From that description it's possible that you have a bad compressor Triac (solid state relay) in the SMX control box...
It's important that you find out if the compressor is in fact running all the time (which will make the pump run too) because the system will ice up and not be able to shut off (because of the failed triac) the compressor.
If you press off on the control & the pump still runs...You have a problem & need to shut it off at the breaker before it takes out that compressor.
Steve~